Hello all. I'm having a very odd problem that I can't solve and I hopinig someone here can help me. I have the latest samba package installed onto my sparc. Samba is configured for a PDC role with all appropriate machine and user accounds. A Win2K client can authenticate perfectly against the box, get credentials, login to the workstation, etc. A user can browse through shares and folders just fine. However whenever the Win2K client attempts to open a file, the entire workstation locks up, requiring a kill of explorer.exe. Standard logging seems to reveal no obvious problem. Talking with some people on the IRC channel last night reveals that others are seeing similiar problems.

I enabled logging at level 4 and through all the spew it appears that whenever the Win2K box tries to access the file, Samba performs a series of file operations, including attempts at locks and then freezes and finally tries to send back an message of "NT_STATUS_OBJECT_PATH_NOT_FOUND" however this does not seem to unlock the client. For reference Samba appears to "see" the file exists (and it does exist as -rw-rw-rw). For reference, this same file structure is exported via NFS as well and file access works as expected there. I tried disabling NFS to rule out any lock problems but that didn't seem to help.

I've looked at the traffic flow, the TCP steam seems to be working just fine in both directions between the server and the workstation. I've dumped a complete "transaction" of the Win2k box trying to open a sample file. To setup the scenario a little better, the file location /data/usr is shared as \\cirdan\usr. Within that is /data/usr/jason/learnvi.tar.gz. The user logged in to the Win2K box authenticates to a UNIX user that has read permisions to that file.

I've posted a log of the attempt to open the file over Samba at http://www.devrandom.org/~jason/samba.log. My smb.conf i at http://www.devrandom.org/~jason/smb.conf.

Anyone help me? I've been beating me head against this for about 8 days now.

Thanks!!!

-- Jason