I did the local test (same windows driver version) and it takes not a whole second to load the printer dialogue! As opposed to the samba printer (as default printer) 17 seconds!

rruegner schrieb:

Hi Walter,
relate to your answers i would say your win drivers arent very compatibel to win xp sp2,
have you tried to get the printer directly connected to a win xp serv pack2 machine using with the same drivers?
if the buggy behavior stay with lokal conected drivers and printer
you know that you have to wait for better drivers or trying
another setup maybe using ghostscript drivers wih cups and/or raw printing.
Best Regards

Walter Willmertinger schrieb:

rruegner schrieb:

Hi Walter,
i have the same setup samba 3.07 , cups win xp serv pack 2 german.
I have noticed that something changed in behavior after the upgrade to win xp serv pack 2 , but non of your described failures are comming
up in my setups for hp laser printers , and canon bjc 2000 as well as my pdf printer.
I only noticed after upgrade to serv pack 2 that ich have to refresh
the pinter icon in the taskbar now after printing is done to disapear.
also my standart paper size is now switching to letter and not staying to default dina 4.
But i have not upgraded my cups or/and win drivers ( which is allways recomended ), i wanted to cotroll this stuff these days but as this bugs are not really heavy for me , i will wait until there is time.
I dont think this is really a problem with samba.
Are you using cups?

YES, I think it is cups 1.1.20

How is your smb.conf

very simple: Here the relevant parts:

# Global parameters
[global]
    workgroup = CSINTERN
    server string = col Samba Server on RedHat
    log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
    max log size = 100000
    deadtime = 60
    preferred master = No
    domain master = No
    ldap ssl = no
    printer admin = root, walterw, fritzw, gerhardj
    hosts allow = 192.168.1.

[homes] comment = Home Directories read only = No create mask = 0750

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    printer admin = root, walterw
    create mask = 0700
    guest ok = Yes
    printable = Yes
    use client driver = Yes
    browseable = No

[print$]
    comment = Share fuer Printer Treiber
    path = /usr/local/samba/lib/printers
    write list = root, walterw, fritzw, gerhardj

[kyocera-ps]
    comment = Kopierdrucker mit Duplexfunktion
    path = /var/spool/samba
    printer admin = root, walterw
    read only = No
    create mask = 0700
    guest ok = Yes
    printable = Yes
    printer name = KYOCERA
    use client driver = Yes
    oplocks = No
    share modes = No

**************************************

, have you checked cups logs,

nothing special!

do you have the latest printers?

Yes, actual drivers

What are this Printers ( Manufacter )

Kyocera, HP ...

Have disabled the xp firewall

Tried with and without firewall

as well as the webclient services on xp,

tried with enabled and disabled

what are the event logs talking at the win xp?

only on XP startup I get an error message:
you can see in the appended temp.jpg
If you don't see it:
It is a message in sytem part.
Source is MRxSmb
Type is warning
Event number is 3019
Text is: ( if I try to translate): Redirector Service cannot recognize the type of connection

Is file sharing running corect with your samba machine?

Yes, no problem, even with MS Access

Is it a stand alone spooler ,

???

do you do accounting,

nothing setup

are you printing
via a printserver device

yes, network print server, done over CUPS

or direct over lpd/usb

no!

Do you use postscript/ghostscript filters, or direct win drivers?

direct win drivers

All this stuff must be tested and controlled to give you the right answer/help...there is no naturally reason why printing with samba
should fail with win xp as far i know

It does not fail, the startup of the print dialogue is just very slow !! When removing SP2, the problem has gone!

Best Regards
Walter Willmertinger schrieb:

We have problems with printing after installing XP SP2.
In nearly every software it takes about 10 seconds to 30 seconds, if you click on "Print-Button" and wait for the print dialogue window.
Extremly slow are programs like MS Word (30 seconds, when you open a document the first time).

Another problem, (but I am sure it's not a samba related problem): In some word documents you have problems viewing embedded graphics. Sometimes you see the graphics, sometimes not. It is not a problem with wrong settings (View - Use placeholders for Graphics). In preview there is no graphics, maybe after some scrolling the graphics appear, on the printout graphics are contained.

Samba installed is 3.0.7 (compiled on RH 9.0 with standard options)!

Regards, Walter

rruegner schrieb:

CHAN YICK WAI schrieb:

Just would like to ask if anyone has experience with Samba with XP SP2, can
you share with us?

Thanks,
Yw

Hi, for sure we share : it works
read the samba faqs for more info, and/or give us more detailed questions
Regards