What David meant is that you can achieve this by making user to run scripts adding/removing share from a command line instead of using srvmgr.exe or 'net share add/delete'. When those scripts will run on a share which forces access to be root they will update smb.conf as a root. Other shares will be accessed from a normal user identity.

Igor

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Igor & David,

Thanks for the replies.
However, what I think I'm reading is that there is no current solution for my problem, right?

As Igor states, how would the Windows GUI 'add/change/delete'(or even command-line 'rmtshare') commands (know to) use this [config] share?

I trust the 'user' , that's not a problem.
The problem is that I don't want them to always be 'root' on the Samba server, especially as they create most of the files.
There are other processes which rely on these files being owned by this particular user, not 'root' .

Gary R. Webster

Igor Belyi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED] 10/16/04 01:38 AM

To: David Rankin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Re: [Samba] Re: 'add/change/delete share command'(s) in smb.conf

On a second thought... It doesn't matter if path is '/' or '/etc/samba'
- if user has access to edit smb.conf directly he/she can create similar
share with 'path = /' and 'force user = root' any time and have access
to the whole computer. So, I agree - you'd better trust 'theusername' as
if it were 'root'.

Igor

Igor Belyi wrote:

Hm... Interesting idea... Since access is necessary only to smb.conf
than probably changing share's path to
'path = /etc/samba' could be a better alternative...

But then again.. how 'add/change/delete share commands' will know that
this particular user has access to this [config] share even if path is
left as '/'? So, it probably won't work via those commands - user will
need to edit smb.conf by hand while accessing it via the [config] share.

Igor

David Rankin wrote:

This will work:

[config]
      comment = Admin Share
      path = /
      valid users = theusername
      force user = root
      force group = theusergroup
      admin users = theusername
      writeable = Yes

**** W A R N I N G **** whoever 'theusername' is will have complete
access
to all files listed in or below the path directory (your entire box
as shown
above). If you can limit the path to say /home or wherever the files of
concern are, you would be much better off.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin * Bertin, PLLC