On 3 occasions in the last 2 week my samba server has hung up. It has occurred each time when I am trying to do a full backup copy of the file server.

It appears to be happening at the same place, I'm guessing based on the number of files which are being transfered. When I look at the rsync which is running I just see a long line of files with I/O errors.

When I try to shutdown smb, I can't.
#service smb stop
Shutting down smb   [Failed]
Shutting down nmb   [Failed]

When I look at
#ps -aux|grep smbd
I get a long list of pid's.  Whenever I try to kill one of these pid's with
kill xxxxx
or kill -9 xxxxx
or kill -15 xxxxx
killall smbd

nothing happens. I then have to reboot. I have been running this system for 2 years and it just started this. Any ideas?