Dear Samba Team,

from a few days i'm trying to use samba on my powerbook,
with panther 10.3.5. I'm also trying to enable swat
where i succeded, but with some anomalies.
I will explain some of the steps i done during this day
because i really don't ever know what to do now. I never
had problems with samba over linux but here the things
seems a little different.

I starting by open the door 901 for swat in the file /etc/services,
putting there the know string "swat  901/tcp  # Samba Web Administration
Tool".
Then i created a file called "swat" in the directory
/etc/xinitd.d/ that contains:

# default: off
#              to configure your Samba server. To use SWAT, \
#              connect to port 901 with your favorite web browser.
service swat
{
        port    = 901
        socket_type     = stream
        wait    = no
        only_from = localhost
        user    = root
        server  = /usr/sbin/swat
        server_args = -s /etc/smb.conf
        log_on_failure  += USERID
        disable = no
}

and i also created in /etc/ a file called smb.conf that
contain the following string:

[global]
         dos charset = 437
         unix charset = UTF-8-MAC
         display charset = UTF-8-MAC
         server string = Mac OS X
         auth methods = guest, opendirectory
         passdb backend = opendirectorysam, guest
         guest account = unknown
         use spnego = No
         printer admin = @admin, @staff

After enabling the windows share in the preference pane... nothing works!
I cannot add user (neither the user created in the system) to samba
cause i get:

/etc/pdb/opendirectorysam.so undefined reference to
_get_opendirectory_authenticator expected to be defined in the executable
Trace/BPT trap

and i can enter swat only if i put it in demo mode with the option -a
in the server_args instead of -s. But anyway no way of creating users.
I tryed to solve the problem of the password authentication by
pdbedit, so i use the command "pdbedit -L -w" to list the entire
user on the system and print it out in a smbpasswd compatible list.
I put the list in a file called smbpasswd by using a redirection command
like ">" and i put the file in /var/db/samba/ (should be that directory,
i don't remember...). So i modified my smb.conf where i changed
the passdb backend by putting it = smbdpasswd:/var/db/samba/smbpasswd.

Well... something did seems working, i can add password without having
error, but... anyway nothing works! I cannot anyway enter in swat...
I can delete also the user but i can't recreate it... :-|

Some other test, and i switched back to the original samba
configuration, by putting as smb.conf the smb.conf.template, and
putting the string enable = no in the swat file.
The result is that now not only i cannot enter to swat neither by
putting it into demo mode, but now i cannot neither stop swat!
Also if i say in the swat file to not start, there is some
things that keep it running! But i didn't do nothing :-|

Sorry for the long e-mail but i really don't know what to do,
i spent the last days reading everywhere and trying everythings
but i'm again at the start point!

Thanks in advance for your time! Sorry for my english!

Alessandro Lorenzo Casali
[EMAIL PROTECTED]