Isaac Ojeda Llebry wrote:
We're running samba in our organization to serve files in a LAN to windows machines (almost XP), and we're having some performance issues with small files. With big files (ie, ISO images), it works pretty well. But, when small files are involved in the transference, problems arise. In the same environment, a Windows 2000 machine (the 'old' server) is able to send data to clients nearly at double speed.

We've tried to change some parameters to make the performance better but... no way.

So, we're looking for any idea or a point to start to search for some additional info.

We are using in a Samba-3.0.7-1.3E, Linux AS 3 Update 4 box, with the Red Hat's kernel 2.4.21-15.0.3.ELsmp.

Configuration is as follow:

# Global parameters
[global]
workgroup = OURWORKGROUP
server string = Software Server
interfaces = eth1
auth methods = guest, sam, winbind
map to guest = Bad User
null passwords = Yes
guest account = ouruser
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
log file = /var/log/samba/smbd.log
max log size = 10240
max xmit = 65535
dns proxy = No
wins server = 192.168.10.10
ldap ssl = no
create mask = 0775
hosts allow = 127., 192.168.
cups options = raw
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192 IPTOS_LOWDELAY

Try:
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=65536 SO_RCVBUF=65536
IPTOS_LOWDELAY

Have a look at:
http://www.drouillard.ca/Tips&Tricks/Samba/Oplocks.htm

--