--On Wednesday, November 17, 2004 05:09:19 PM +0100 Paul Coray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Marcel de Riedmatten schrieb:

Now I realize this works when i configure LDAP and Idealx-Tools to store machine accounts in the same container as useraccounts. Although this makes my directory look somewhat messy, I can live with it if I have to. Still I can't add machines doing smbldap-useradd -w, nor when I try to join the domain from a client.

you can have them separated. What count is that the machines account are
visible on domain controllers (PDC BDC) ie getent passwd must show the
machine (posix) account. This is nss_ldap configuration. If samba
doesn't see the machine (posix) account it won't work .

So can I specify more then one nss base for passwd in libnss-ldap.conf?

i.e.

nss_base_passwd ou=Users,dc=mydomain,dc=ch
nss_base_passwd ou=Computers,dc=mydomain,dc=ch

Rather than specify this twice why don't you just move the base up? For example:

 nss_base_passwd dc=mydomain,dc=ch

Bill

nss_base_group  ou=Groups,dc=mydomain,dc=ch

 So I would suspect some problem in the communication with the

PDC and double check that on the samba box

1) you have the domain SID as local SID

Do SIDS for the PDC and for the domain have to be the same?

yes the domain SID _is_ the (local) SID of the PDC and all domain
controllers must have the same SID.

Thanks Marcel, this is very valuable information to me! I think these should be pointed out more clearly in the docs.

Cheers

Paul

-- Paul Coray Administrator Server und Netzwerk

Oeffentliche Bibliothek der Universitaet Basel
EDV-Abteilung
Schoenbeinstrasse 18-20
CH-4056 Basel

Tel: +41 61 267 05 13