On Nov 24, John H Terpstra wrote:

The other really useful thing I found while looking for the above
reference is in the Samba-Guide/happy.html#id2536161 where in the note it
says that having separate containers for users and computers does not yet
work, yet examples appear to use this (hence I got the crazy idea it
should just work and it didn't).
Smile. :) It can be made to work by moving the basedn up the tree. The
So I noticed... ;-(

performance impact works against that.
Yeah, which could be significant if you are using LDAP for other things as well.

This brings me to my last point about the LDAP issue that seemed to bring
this thread up:
Why is samba using NSS when it has all the necessary information to do the
proper LDAP search itself?  This does not appear to make sense.
Surely you realize that Samba stores files in the file system. The file system
is completely divorced from Samba. Who would own the files if the UID and GID
Identities are NOT resolved via NSS?
No argument with that.

You are completely correct that Samba can do an LDAP lookup to get user and
group ID information, but that is not the issue. How do you propose to
resolve IDs within the OS if not through NSS?
The issue of this thread was authenticating machine accounts if I remember correctly...

tom.