I can say this if Tomak is using Suse then this may very well be how Suse built the package.

I left suse for this exact reason, a perfect example of how they changed Samba's "ldap ssl = "parameter

for what ever reason they set this parameter to relate to start_tls / false instead of start_tls / off.

so they may have change other settings as well.

Using redhat 9 %u works as it should.

I can't begin to explain the nightmares I had setting up cyrus on suse because of all the proprietary settings they have.

Robert