One of the reasons I choose to go with openldap as my backend for samba was I intended to eventually have my cyrus server authenticate against the same server thus creating a single point of autherization for network services.

That being said if samba 4 does have it's own ldap "like" backend unless people are able to use it for other services I beleive that openldap will still be the back end of choice.

Robert