Hi!

I need to add static entries to my Samba 3.0.9 WINS server but I can't. Let's explain:

The "Samba Collection Howto" chapter "Network Browsing" , section "Static WINS Entries" tells that I can edit my "wins.dat" file (/opt/samba/var/locks/wins.dat) to set the TTL of some entries to 0 . No matter if I edit the TTL of some existing entries (self-registered clients) or if I insert new lines to that file : The file "wins.dat" is regenerated after it . May be this regeneration is due to network browsing...

        This is an example of what I added:
"ONENBTNAME#03" 0 xxx.yyy.zzz.ttt 66R

Trying, trying ... I've also tried with a "64R" flag (don't know what is it) and with the "#20" LanMan Netbios type : No way.

As I can't make that name resolution work , I have edited my Samba's "lmhosts" file (/opt/samba/lib/lmhosts). I have added some entries to that file , and they are valid when my server is trying to resolve a NETBIOS name (i.e. executing "/opt/samba/bin/smbclient -L \\NETBIOS_NAME" on the WINS server), but when my WINS clients ask for those Netbios names to my WINS server, the answer is 'Unknown host".

As you will see in my `testparm` , the "name resolve order" is "host lmhost bcast" :

[EMAIL PROTECTED] opt]# /opt/samba/bin/testparm
Load smb config files from /opt/samba-3.0.9/lib/smb.conf
Processing section "[usuarioprueba]"
Loaded services file OK.
WARNING: You have some share names that are longer than 12 characters.
These may not be accessible to some older clients.
(Eg. Windows9x, WindowsMe, and smbclient prior to Samba 3.0.)
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = UBGRUPDETREBALL
        server string = Servidor WINS de proves
        log level = 3
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        name resolve order = host lmhost bcast
        load printers = No
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes

[usuarioprueba]
        comment = Share per l'usuarioprueba
        path = /home/usuarioprueba
        valid users = usuarioprueba

What amb I doing wrong? Is there any way to add static entries to my WINS server? Thanks a lot in advance,

-- Angel Galindo Muņoz University of Barcelona