gints neimanis wrote:
Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

As a consequence, this also means, that on each server there has to be a copy of a profile of a given user, right?

No, not right. The user roaming profile is stored only on one server.

So what is the sense of having BDCs? I guess the biggest load happens when the profiles are copied; when there are hundreds of users, one PDC (on which the profiles are stored) would be much overloaded.

Besides, Samba Guide chapter 7 ("Distributed 2000 users network") describes a setup when users are located in New York, London etc. different locations, which sounds just silly if roaming profiles were stored for example in New York only.

Maybe you may rename the each SAMBA server in each location in the same NetBIOS name, but the profile directory on each server is fetched from the central server over NFS.

I don't think giving the same NetBIOS name for different machines is a good idea.

Fetching profiles each time from a central server when user logs in / logs out doesn't seem to be good idea for me - what if company/school etc. has two or more buildings, and they are connected only by a slow VPN over internet/wireless etc.?

Tomek