I run rpcclient without specifying an IP address and I get the following error:

# /products/samba/bin/rpcclient //localhost -U novosirj
Password:

cli_full_connection: failed to connect to //LOCALHOST<20> (0.0.0.0)
Cannot connect to server.  Error was NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL

...the machine knows what localhost is otherwise:

...anyone have any insights?

(Speculating wildly like I usually do) I'd say that is because smbd/nmbd don't register the name localhost at all. When you say telnet localhost you're asking dns to look it up, which usually responds properly via /etc/hosts or possibly your dns server ( I think ours responds 127.0.0.1 if you ask who localhost is). When you ask for //localhost you're asking for the netbios host at localhost, which no one has claimed.

Try without the // or with //<servername> and see if that works out better for you.

Sorry if my usage of nmbd/netbios is bad.

Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.
Systems Architect               Fax:    701-281-1322