rruegner wrote:
hi,
you can store your profiles on whatever samba server you want as long it is trusted to

You didn't understand my question.

1) in each office, there is only one domain controller (costs), against which users authenticate and store roaming profiles (they are stored locally on their workstations, too)

2) if a local domain controller is down, they should be able to authenticate against a domain controller over VPN/WAN - but use local profile only.

How to prevent users from trying to retrieve/upload a profile to/from a given domain controller?

I can do it by putting some broken profile path on that domain controller, but then users when logging in see a window "their profile path can't be found, contact administrator etc.", which I want to avoid.