Well, my problem has changed.

I rolled back to Samba 3.0.7 and the issue was still there, telling me that it was a case of corrupted printer drivers in the print$ share most likely. I tried to recopy them in there manually but that didn't work, so I deleted them and reinstalled the drivers using the WinXP Add Printer Driver Wizard.

This worked and now all computers can download drivers automatically, but to my puzzlement the print$ share is still empty. I looked in the directory that it is connected with, /usr/local/samba/printers, but it was empty.

So now the drivers are out there, but where? I'm going to examine the server but does anyone have any ideas or have seen this kind of behavior before?

Jeff Umbach wrote:
Franz Pförtsch wrote:

Do you have tried:

smbclient //<server>/print$ -U <windowsuser>

what is happening?

I tried following the solution in that thread and it didn't help. I can

print to the printers if I install the driver manually, but I cannot get it to install the driver automatically from the print$ share anymore. The "Access Denied" message refers to the printer status.

I am printing from WinXP Pro SP2, not Linux. There are no other Linux systems on this network. All the other Windows computers that already had their printers installed still work but if I uninstall a printer I cannot reinstall it properly.