Koenraad Lelong wrote:

Hans du Plooy wrote:

On Thursday 06 January 2005 09:22, Koenraad Lelong wrote:

I think there was a recent post of you, which says all authentication,
including Linux, should go through LDAP. If this is correct, I think
this should be stressed in all documents concerning Samba/LDAP.

Hi ,

I did post the LDAP athentication issue, but that was to a different list - post content was slightly different. SUSE offers LDAP authentication but I had trouble getting it setup. Apart from samba I need to have other things work with LDAP too.

Thanks for your reply and to John H Terpstra

Dankie

I didn't mean you, Hans. I was referring to a post of John (Re: [Samba] PDC + LDAP group mappings, of 30 dec) :

For the record:
=========

If you use LDAP with Samba it is essential that ALL your UNIX (POSIX) accounts (both for users and for groups) are in the LDAP backend. Samba requires the SambaSAM account data also in LDAP. It is NOT possible with Samba to have only the SambaSAM account information in LDAP and not the UNIX accounts in LDAP.

P.S. If you succeeded in setting up an LDAP-server, did you use a how-to ? I'm trying to do the same, but I need to study a bit/lot more. I find it a shame that SuSE's Yast does not have an option (I know of) to setup an LDAP-server to authenticate. AFAIK you can only set it up to autenticate against one (i.e. a client), at installation time. But then, it would be too easy ;-), and maybe some finer points would be lost.

Hi Koenraad,

what Distribution of SuSe do you use??
in the Enterprise server of suse you can setup a ldap-server as "authentification source" with yast.
p.s. the latest Enterprise Server (SuSE) is available for free download on novell.com/linux ...

regards