Nicholas Brealey wrote:
I want to move my Samba 3.0.10 server which is acting as PDC and
WINS server to a new server with a differenent hostname and IP address.

The old server is being used as a NIS+ server which means it would
be very difficult for me to move the old hostname and IP to the new server.

I have used the IP of the old server in the WINS server settings in DHCP
and have set it by hand on a handful of PCs with don't get there IP address by DHCP. I realise I will have to change that IP address in DHCP
and the clients.

I know what files I need to copy from one server to another.

Is it sufficient to set netbios name = the old name on the new server given that the old name will still correspond to the old server in DNS?

don't forget to set the localsid after you change the netbios name:

1) before you move:

# net getlocalsid

2) after you move:

# net setlocalsid SID......