Ed Holden wrote:
OK, Tomek, here it is.  Debug level is 7; let me know if that's OK.

What's happening in these logs is this: I am twice connecting to DMC1, the Samba server, from a remote machine using smbclient. First I use the username "nrladmin," which is an account that works, and I get a list of shares. Then I connect as "oisacson," which has had its password changed, and get a "session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE" error. (However on the server itself I can connect with this user to 127.0.0.1.)

I don't see anything in the logs... not even NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE you mentioned. Is it the right log?

Finally, here is smb.conf, minus the commented lines.

[global]

  workgroup = RESEARCH
  netbios name = DMC1
  server string = Neuroregeneration Samba Server %v
  log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
  max log size = 50
  log level = 10
  map to guest = bad user
  security = user
  encrypt passwords = yes
  smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
  username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
  local master = yes
  os level = 64
  domain master = no
  preferred master = yes
  dns proxy = no

[NRL Folders]
  comment = NRL Data Folders
  browseable = yes
  writeable = yes
  path = /home/nrldata
  create mask = 7777
  directory mask = 7770
  fstype = Samba
  hide dot files = no
  guest ok = no

Hope there's a clue in there somewhere. This configuration worked fine on the old Samba server.

No clue.
What if you try and/or encrypt passwords = no and/or security = share and/or remove fstype = Samba:

[NRLers]
   comment = NRL Data Folders
   browseable = yes
   writeable = yes