I am at present running samba 3.0.10 (Solaris) with a mixed invironment with macs (panther) and pc's.

If I open a word document on a mac then a temp file which starts with ._ is created.
When I close the document this temp file is not removed and the next person to open the original document can't save any changes.
If I remove the temp file by hand then I can save the original document.
If I try to force the mac to save the changes then the original file gets deleted.

A printout from smbstatus shows that the lock on the temp file remains active even though the original has been closed.

15899 DENY_NONE 0x3 RDWR NONE /export/gant/prod dev
avd/fall 2005/._ss comments men.doc Mon Jan 24 13:27:24 2005 11246 DENY_NONE 0x1 RDONLY NONE /export/gant/prod dev
avd/fall 2005/._ss comments men.doc Mon Jan 24 07:38:58 2005

Is there anyone who has managed to solve  this problem?

Regards Kenneth Karlsson