To: "David Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <samba@lists.samba.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 5:15 PM
Subject: Re: [Samba] Samba log analysis and report

Dave,

I use the --with-utmp support (if your system supports it).

You can then view logon times using `last`

I know on my FreeBSD server (PDC) I can save my accounting info, and get monthly summary totals for all my user's usage rates (who's hitting the server the most via the `ac` command) My RedHat server don't seem to have this installed, but I'm sure that with a google you could get it running on a Linux machine as well.

I use this in combo w/ the deadtime = 10 option in smb.conf to automatically disconnect inactive sessions so my utmp, and wtmp logs are a little more accurate.

P.S. the acccounting department loves these because they bill users computing support ISOs according to different usage levels. I combine this with data from my SQL server logs, and wala... I can see who my power users are, and who my technophobes are.

--
Aaron Zirbes

David Wilson wrote:
Hi guys,

Does anyone know of some decent Samba log analysis software that will report things like user logon/logoff times, computer names etc. ?
Thanks in advance.

Kindest regards
David Wilson