There are both machine accounts and user accounts in the "smbpasswd" file. So pdbedit will automatically put machine accounts into ou=Computers and user accounts into ou=users, am I right?

That I couldn't tell you honestly. It stands to reason that the command could figure out which is which, but I have no empirical data to back that up.

I've tried "smbldap-migrate-unix-accounts" to migrate NIS account into LDAP. It is a great tool. There is no problem if he/she authenticate from Linux machine with his old NIS account. But I found that I need to run smbldap-passwd to give a new passwd so that he/she can authenticate from windows machine. Does anyone has a better solution about it?

So by your subject line it appears that you have a smbpasswd file someplace. You can use the pdbedit command with import and export flags to move the relevant fields over to ldap.

-- Paul Gienger Office: 701-281-1884 Applied Engineering Inc. Systems Architect Fax: 701-281-1322 URL: www.ae-solutions.com mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]