It's causing me quite a bit of a headache. I tried the sam_ignoredomain
but that doesn't seem to work. Is there any way to make it try just the
username and only try DOMAIN+username if username doesn't exist???

How is your nsswitch.conf set up? If it's something like this

passwd:     files winbind ldap
shadow:     files winbind ldap
group:      files winbind ldap

you could always reverse the order of ldap and winbind. Just a stab in the dark since I don't run winbind here, but it would stand to reason that it could work the other way.

--
Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.