OrvUx wrote:
Bart Hendrix wrote:

Hi All,
I have the following questions:

We have some folders / shares where we store for example only .doc files. But some users also saves the .jpg files in this share. We don't want this and we wondered if we can block saving .jpg files with samba. Is there an option to set in smb.conf so we can block the saving of .jpg files?

Second one:
Some users saves the .doc files for example as thisisanexampleforarealylongnameforawordfile.doc

Is there an option to prevent these long names?

Thanx

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Bart Hendrix

To restric the .jpg files the veto files option is for you...

|veto files = /*.mp3/ /*.wav/ /*.mpeg/ /*.avi/

Check this link...
http://www.faqs.org/docs/samba/ch08.html

For the long names i don't know... :D

From that link:
---------------
If you want to prevent users from seeing files completely, you can instead use the veto files option. This option, which takes the same syntax as the hide files option, specifies a list of files that should never be seen by the user. For example, let's change the [data] share to the following:

[data]
    veto files = /*.java/*README*/

This will only prevent them from seeing these files.

I know that end users are always looking for ways to get around any "technical solution" that is put in place to enforce a "company policy".

Based on my experience with end users (mostly K-12 students), I'd still opt for training followed by "ramifications" for violators. :)

Cheers.

-
Bill Arlofski
[EMAIL PROTECTED]