I don't think I was clear here, I didn't say to point it at your
smbpasswd file, instead I said passsword file. You already stated that
you didn't have the windows passwords in LDAP so there shouldn't be any
overlap there. My concern was how it would handle if you had somehow
gotten the sambaSamAccount objectClass on the users already.

I really do not follow what you suggested I try with the pdbedit command. All
I'm interested in is the LM and NT hashes inside of the sambapassword file on
my production server. How would the pdbedit command help me get those LM and
NT hashes into my LDAP database on my new server?

It would help you because that is exactly what it does. If you have ldap set up and working already, so that a newly added user works, the command should be something like

pdbedit -i smbpasswd:/etc/smbpasswd.old

otherwise you'd have to specify the ldapsam with the -e flag

Quoting the man page

-i passdb-backend
Use a different passdb backend to retrieve users than the one specified in smb.conf. Can be used to import data into your lo-
cal user database.

This option will ease migration from one passdb backend to another.

-e passdb-backend
Exports all currently available users to the specified password database backend.

This option will ease migration from one passdb backend to another and will ease backing up.

--
Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.