John H Terpstra wrote:
On Sunday 20 March 2005 03:55, Honey Bajaj wrote:
I have configured samba domain in our network of around 150 windows node,
we are running 4 Samba server, Samba acts as PDC, member server, everything
was running fine with windows 98, until we start upgrading our systems to
windows xp, the network started becoming choke and problem of slow access
arises everyday, I have checked with ethereal and the traffic generated by
windows xp is almost thrice for the same work which windows 98 did. Please
provide me some solution to overcome this problem.

Wow, only twice the traffic! Something tells me your metrics are a little off. From my evaluation it is more like 3-5 times as much traffic for the same operations, but it makes a difference what you are measuring.

For example, opening a directrory with 1000 or so file in Windows Explorer could cost up to 6 times more I/O traffic.

Windows XP SP2 is a beast for traffic increase. The solution is revert to 98 - or else bit-the-bullet by migrating to Linux.

I have noticed a similar problem to this as I began moving from Windows 98 to Windows 2000 a couple of years ago at a school I system adm. I thought at it was purely due to how Windows 2k/XP handled their roaming profiles with all the data that moves back and forth during login/logout. Any thoughts on what the reason is for the increased i/o for similar operations?