Do not use SWAT unless you thoroughly understand it and how it can ruin
your system.

This sounds frightening. Do you mean that SWAT can ruin my whole system
configuration, and not just smb.conf?

No, SWAT is just fine, once you understand what you'll lose by using it, which is mainly your comments. There were a couple of bugs a few versions ago that would mess with your quotes but they've been fixed now.

In my setup, I use it on a day to day basis when I want to add some strange option or look at what the available options are. It's also fairly useful for a quick documentation lookup: see an odd option, click help, get dropped to the man page.

Personally I would appreciate a well designed discussion about why certain things suck and how they can be rebuilt as opposed to FUD spamming. One person's overly critical opinion has clearly scared at least one person here.

-- Paul Gienger Office: 701-281-1884 Applied Engineering Inc. Systems Architect Fax: 701-281-1322 URL: www.ae-solutions.com mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]