To: <samba@lists.samba.org>
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2005 1:11 PM
Subject: [Samba] POSSIBLE RESOLUTION: Extremely slow during browsing some directories (MS KB Articles)

A colleague ran across this Microsoft (lack of) Knowledge Base article:

"Long delay in the display of file names from the "Open" dialog box in Office XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818792

which lists a hotfix available from Microsoft. Also, on some Microsoft discussion lists, there's been some experience that the presence of an invalid/disconnected mapped drive can impact the issue, or the presence of a large number of files/folders in the folder being browsed..

In addition, there's another article:
"The File Open dialog box does not automatically select the first available document in an Office 2003 program"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832889

which contains this tidbit of wisdom (and references article 818792):
"If the AutoSelect feature is enabled in the *Open* dialog box, and you view a folder on a network share that contains many files and folders, you may experience a delay of two to five minutes before the *Open* dialog box is populated and the first available Office 2003 document is selected."

In reading these two articles, I get the sense that in Office XP (Office 2002) "it's a feature not a bug" and that in Office 2003, "it was a buggy feature so we disabled it by default." Even though it's supposed to be disabled in 2003, you might want to double-check the registry hack mentioned in 818792, maybe setting DisableAutoSelect to 1 just to be sure.

--Jonathan Johnson
Sutinen Consulting, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jonathan Johnson wrote:

David Rankin wrote:

I am seeing the exact same problem and I can confirm that a reboot of Win XP helps the problem temporarily. (this is my laptop so it is restarted regularly) It seems something is getting cached or stuck somewhere after XP is up and running for a while that is causing the 30 second delay descending down the directory tree when using the "file-open" dialog from MS office applications.
<<

David,

For what it's worth, I've experienced very similar behavior with a Novell server in the back end. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about Novell, and there isn't a Samba server on this particular network that I can use for troubleshooting. I mainly wanted to let you know that it's not just a Samba problem, but perhaps some "optimization" that Microsoft has used to make sure that their server OS works better. We can always suspect that, can't we?

In my situation, browsing works fine with explorer but not in the file open dialog in MS Office apps. Just like you experienced.

In regards to Linwei Cheng's original problem, I have to ask, is there a machine account in the /etc/passwd file? For one of my customers who has a Samba box that authenticates against a true Windows Active Directory server, I found that I needed to add local machine accounts to the Linux user database (/etc/passwd) in order to get reasonable performance. The Samba logs were full of messages whining about user MACHINE$ not existing. Now, I might have solved this by adding winbind to the hosts entry in /etc/nsswitch.conf, but I didn't think of that. It works now, so why fix it?

--Jonathan Johnson
Sutinen Consulting, Inc.
www.sutinen.com