Paul Gienger writes:

we don't have ldap as backend sofar as we're not that big. its not a problem, if I need to do something on every linux client as there are really only a few. so a pam modul which could start a script and provide username/password would be enough I guess.

If you have two unix boxes, you could benifit from LDAP. There is no size requirement ;).

but ldap is not that easy that I would like to use it for these few machines, or is it easier than thought with the right docu?

There's still a fair learning curve.

Take a look at pam_mount for your mounting needs. I have no experience running it, but it seems to be a step in the direction you want. Alternatively, there's always nfs for unix-unix file serving.

that sounds good. nfs is not alternative as on some linux client machines the users have root.

I can only guess that what you're referring to here is that they could then have full access on your server. There are the root_squash options to get around that. I can never remember which way is which though, no_root_squash vs root_squash, thank you man page ;).

--
Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.