On Thursday 28 April 2005 11:56, you wrote:
> Hi John:
> Why not put agree betwen you, someone of samba.org answered me:
> "The smbstatus command will help you do this. It's better to ask questions
> like this on the main [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list".
> And now you ask me that I have to pay??? what are the discusion lists??? I
> alway think (betwen another things) that they are to help people. May be
> Am'I in the wrong list??
> Thank you for your unhelpfulnes

Marta,

I apologise if in any way my email was offensive to you. That was not my
intent. My intent was to point you to a source of rapid help in case your
need is urgent enough that at all costs you need a solution.

I can see that I have upset you. It seems that what was offered in the best of
interests has upset you.

If I understand correctly, you first asked for help on the samba-technical
mailing list. That list is purely for the samba developers to discuss design
aspects of Samba development. The [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list is the general
public list.

As with all user supported software mailing lists, there is no guarantee that
anyone will answer your request. No-one gets paid for assistance given on the
mailing list - all help given is free and voluntary. No-one is responsible to
answer your requests.

There are a number of companies that provide paid-for support. I pointed you
at that source in case you have an urgent need. I cared enough to not cause
your request to go unanswered - particularly since you started to push for an
answer.

Your request to the [EMAIL PROTECTED] list is to the correct list.

- John T.

> Marta
>
> John H Terpstra wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We saw your question from the first posting. This is a user-supported
> > list. We are all rather busy with our normal work. If your need is urgent
> > you may want to consider paid support. Details of paid for support
> > providers are available from the Samba web site.
> >
> > On Wednesday 27 April 2005 14:23, Marta R. Lozano wrote:
> > > Hi:
> > > My english is very bad but I will try to explain that it We need. We
> > > work at Library of
> > > Ministry of Economy.
> > > We use one Linux Server with Samba 3.07 (mainly it has data files,
> > > CDS/ISIS
> > > databases and It application (from Unesco)).
> > > Right now, the administrator are Information System's people from
> > > Ministry.We need in
> > > some case not only to track what user are connected and what files they
> > > are using, we
> > > need in special case to unconneted (o cut off the connection) because
> > > we need to up
> > > date some databases and If it is in use we couldn't to do this.
> > > So, The Information System's people set up SWAT for us, but this tool
> > > don't allow to
> > > unconnected users. It only allow to see the "Home", "Status", "View"
> > > ans "Password".
> > > My question is: Is it possible, by configuration, to allow us to
> > > unconnected user from
> >
> > Yes, if you log into SWAT as the 'root' account. You will need to kill
> > connections, not users.
> >
> > > some files at option "Status". If it is yes, please, tell us how they
> > > can do that.
> >
> > See above.
> >
> > > And talking about "Status": is possible to change the "Refresh
> > > Interval"īs seconds
> > > amonut??. And when one make Refresh why the date and time doesn't
> > > change.
> >
> > That will require some diagnostics work to find the answer. Your
> > information is not sufficient to provide a meaningful answer at this
> > time.
> >
> > - John T.
> > --
> > John H Terpstra
> > Samba-Team Member
> > Phone: +1 (650) 580-8668
> >
> > Author:
> > The Official Samba-3 HOWTO & Reference Guide, ISBN: 0131453556
> > Samba-3 by Example, ISBN: 0131472216
> > Hardening Linux, ISBN: 0072254971
> > Other books in production.
> > --