----- Original Message ----- From: "John H Terpstra"
On Thursday 19 May 2005 20:53, Jeremy Anderson wrote:

I'd like to thank everyone for the help with this problem. Replacing the two Ethernet hubs with a single Ethernet switch seems to have resolved the problem. The two hubs were actually hot to the touch when I looked at them. I wouldn't have guessed that hardware would affect just a single protocol, but it looks like only SMB was chatty enough to overload the failing hubs.

I heard of a site that replaced the server because of performance problems
caused by a $50 HUB. It is not as uncommon as you might think. The problem is
that so few people will believe the story - and that means most will repeat
the learning! Thanks for sharing the outcome with those of us who already
believe. :-)

I have followed this thread and believe I'm suffering from the same problem. File copying is terribly slow on one of my customers networks. The 8-port hub (which is plugged into a larger network switch) is a no-name piece of junk. However is worked fine when only network printers (jetdirects) was on it. Now that a windows XP box is on that hub, performance went down hill and I even get errors in the syslog about failed smb gethostnames or something like that.

-Eric Wood