True, would be good to share both SMB and NFS from the same server. However, there is a possible reason to use SMB from NFS client mount point: Win clients cannot mount SMB shares of two different user names on the same box. I.E., from a Win box I cannot do:
net use \\serverA\home /user:Adomain\john
net use \\serverA\lab    /user:Adomain\labmanager

In my case, 'home' and 'lab' files were historically in different Win domains anyway, so I moved on to a work-around to the above, where I NFS mount the 'lab' files from serverA in Adomain to server B in a different domain, and I can do:
net use \\serverA\home /user:Adomain\john
net use \\serverB\lab  /user:Bdomain\labmanager

I have a small subset of users in both A Bdomain, so the accounts management is not too cumbersome. Perhaps there are more elegant solutions though, serving all from the same SMB+NFS box.

Will look at some of the suggestions as to how to get SMB from NFS mount to work again now with Samba 3
-Ben Ransom

I think you should have your Samba daemon running on the same machine as
the NFS daemon. If you do it the other way, then you have two different
points of latency for file retrieval for the Samba downloads.
Furthermore, what will happen if you have to take down either Samba or
NFS for maintenance?  This way they need not both be down.

For larger systems you might consider having an SCSI hard drive with two
ports so that you can access it from two different machine's busses.
One machine could run Samba and the other NFS.  For even larger storage
solutions, think "Network Attached Storage" with a gigabit or fiber
backbone and possibly Balancing Domain Controllers.

Jim C.