Mike Brodbelt wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to map a share to a samba server from an XP workstation. The
Samba server is a domain member, and the share in question is set up for
guest access.

From a linux box, I can run "smbclient -W DOMAIN \\server\share", and it
prompts for a password. I hit enter, and it logs in as "anonymous".
Looking at a packet trace I see it try to log in as "DOMAIN\username"
(where username is just my login to the Linux machine) which fails, then
"anonymous", which works fine.

From an XP box, logged on as *local* Administrator, but joined to the
DOMAIN, I do:-

net use k: \\server\share /user:anonymous

This fails, and a packet trace shows the damn thing insists on trying to
connect as MACHINE\anonymous. Any idea how I can force it to connect
without the netbios name of the machine stuck on the front?

Mike.

I don't know about actually omitting the netbios name altogther, but you can try `net use k: \\server\share /user:domain\anonymous'