Oh we have asked Apple, thanks! We've got an Apple engineer coming onsite tomorrow, even, and I'll report back on what he says (so far he's just asked about us using authenticated passwords....) Hope this might help others, at any rate.

If anyone can shed some light on how null-padding is *supposed* to work with plaintext passwords, I'd be grateful. I've googled around a bit and found some docs for NTLM and NTLM2 auth but I'm still a bit foggy about the whole thing.

Probably we'll end up switching to encrypted passwords and deal with the other issues that had us using plaintext in the first place, but I *would* like to understand how this all should be working. And, if anyone else has gotten Tiger to *work* with plaintext please do let us know.

thanks Betsy

Betsy Schwartz email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unix Systems Administrator,CRG                           voice: 617-495-5947
Harvard Graduate School of Design                         fax:    617-496-5866