Why do you have oplocks turned off? You'll find that Access goes a
lot faster when you leave oplocks on. That, or at least reduce the
"lock spin time" from 200ms to something less (eg: 20ms), or remove
that parameter to let Samba use the default.
I have wondering why you say it would be faster with oplocks on. at our office we have have to let more than one person be able to read the access files, not write but read them an to be able to do that i had to turn oplocks off so more then one person can have it open at one time. be interesting to know how to do that without oplocks on.

thanks
excel files act the same way need to allow for 2 or more to read the file an have to have oplocks off for that too.

jack