net setlocalsid your-sid-goes-here

Thanks for your help. I think my PDC/BDC is working alright now. I only see a couple of things I don't like.

1. I login to the PDC, then log out from a windows client. I then take Samba/LDAP down on the PDC. I now log back in with the same user. Here are the two problems that I notice.

A. The explorer still shows the drives mapped to the PDC, even though, it created the batch file to map them to the BDC. If I manually disconnect the drives and then login, I am fine. Any idea why the the drives are not redone on the windows client to point to the BDC?

I think the client won't notice if a server is down - you'd have to reboot the Windows machine (at least that's my experience).

If you map more than one share with different credentials, it won't work with WIndows. If the shares are mapped already as Z: for example, you won't map another share there.

Server crashes do not happen often, so it won't be a big problem for you - unless it really crashes :)

B. It takes a long time for the windows client to login (15 seconds or more). If I browse a network drive, it also takes a long time for it to show up the first time I browse it(10 seconds or more). If I close it and then browse it again, then it is quick.

I can live with these, since I hope that my PDC will be up most of the time, but was just curious to why it would take longer. If you have any ideas then I would appreciate the info.

for this one I think I already sent an answer (about WINS) to the list?

--
Tomek
WPKG - automated software deployment