Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

I've never used Ubuntu;  but I'd be surprised your Samba is really built
without SSL support,  in fact,  I think it is really your libldap that
is in question.

ldd /usr/lib/libldap.so reveals that it is not linked to libssl, while it is on the server that has this working.

Are you setting " ldap ssl = start_tls" ???  Don't use an "ldaps:///"
URL.

I have tried all combinations of ldap://, ldaps://, ssl = on, ssl = start_tls. All variations yield similar results.

If you LDAP server is local just use ldapi:/// with is faster anyway and
you don't need any encryption.

Unfortunately, it is not local. I've started a thread on Ubuntu forums. If I learn anything useful I'll post it here.

Thanks for the thoughts.

--
http://www.0x09.com