Geoff Scott wrote:

Eric Hines wrote:
Geoff,

What do your logs say about NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE for the stuff below?

What type of sam are you running? Ldapsam / tdbsam ?
It's set for tdbsam. I've not got that set up right, though, according to the smbd log. I've frankly walked away from this problem, though, until I get DNS resolution running. My WINS does seem to be, tested with nsswitch set solely to wins. Now it's set back to hosts: files dns wins. I've been in log.nmbd, log.smbd, log.winbindd, and smbd. Smbd yells about "Unable to open TDB rid database!" There's a pretty clear hint; I just haven't had time to pursue it.

There was a thread titled logon.bat that started a bit before this
one. Have a look at that for example logon script settings.

I'm studying that, too.  That may help with my logon problem, but it
doesn't address my DNS problem.
When I run the logon.bat file from my Win2k box, I get the following
in a DOS window:
   net time \\lserver1 /set /yes
   System error 5 has occurred.

I'd guess that would work if you had wins set in your nsswitch
It is, though: hosts: files dns wins

   Access is denied.

   net use h: /home
   The user's home directory has not been specified.
Well that's just clearly wrong.  As John said in that post I mentioned:
net use o: %LOGONSERVER%\sharename
Or net use o: \\lserver1\sharename

But none of those is going to work unles name resolution is working.
Particularly wins for this example.
Agree on both. I still need to study John's post, but I'm concentrating on getting DNS to work for now. WINS does seem to be working.

Regards Geoff Scott

Thanks
Eric Hines

--
He can compress the most words into the smallest ideas of any man
I ever met.