We recently upgraded our file servers from RHEL 3 running Samba 3.0.11 to CentOS 4 running Samba 3.0.14a. Since then, we've been getting some "permission denied" errors while deleting files.

Most of our shares have permissions set up similar to the following:

[database]
   valid users = @faculty randomsecretary1 randomsecretary2 @admin
   force group = faculty

Under Samba 3.0.11, users not in the primary group (such as @admin and randomsecretary1) were forced into the appropriate group and so had full permissions on the drive. Under Samba 3.0.14a, users not in the primary group can create and edit files but cannot delete them. This occurs with Windows XP SP 2 clients; oddly enough, smbclient can still delete the files.

I know that I can work around this by setting up proper groups or by using ACLs, but I'd prefer not to have to change my current setup.

I would appreciate assistance.  Thank you.

Josh Kelley