Hi,

I have an identical issue, hitting Win2K SP4, ever since upgrading to Debian Sarge.

Here's an additional observation, and a workaround.

We have roving profiles, and on any user logging in or out, Samba creates a profile directory called %u. That is, (for example) on logging out, instead of writing back to a directory called /home/samba_profiles/fred, it creates a new directory called /home/samba_profiles/%u, as though the variable substitution is simply not happening, and writes the profile back there.

However, it doesn't appear to load this new profile (ie, it's not a security breach!) and when a user logs in, we just get the "Cannot locate your profile ..." alert.

Anyway, I found a workaround. My Unix usernames are the same as my NT usernames. So I just changed %u to %U to see what happened, and the problem has gone away.

I would guess that this'll give some big hints to anyone who is checking through the code!

Cheers,

Bill