[EMAIL PROTECTED] schrieb:
but then, no roaming profiles, right?
well, one less thing to worry about :)

Well, LINUX doesn't have anything like a roaming profile for better or worse. Current LINUX desktop environments don't much lend themselves to "management".

What about a logon script which runs unison
(http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/) to synchronize?

File syncronization does not equal 1:1 the functionality of roaming profiles. Roaming profiles in conjunction with system policies let the admin extert a great deal of control over the user's experience - this isn't really possible with the current state of things on the LINUX desktop. So wether the answer to the posters questions is "yes" or "no" depends specifically on what he/she is
looking to do.

Well, basically I only wanted to know how would it look if we wanted one day to switch the whole company or half of it to Linux workstations.

So I can see, there are lots of approaches, but there are some serious problems:

- no standard, as Samba in a Windows world (i.e., widely used)
- laptop users will have a problem if they are out of the company building
- have to engineer, build, test, everything from scratch; with Samba, 90% of work is editing the smb.conf file

What we talk about is a little not very specific to this Samba group, but certainly it is nice to hear how the things can be solved in the UNIX/Linux environment.

--
Tomek
http://wpkg.org