John H Terpstra wrote:
On Tuesday 01 November 2005 01:54, Charles Zealey wrote:
I'm in the process of following John's excellent instructions for
transfering an NT4 domain to Samba 3.0.20 running on 2.6.9-gentoo-r6 on
an Intel box.

Most things seem to work fine apart from the transfer of the machine
accounts.  These do not get moved because as retrieved from the NT
server the name is in upper case and adduser refuses to add names in
upper case, so I get the message 'unable to add posix account'.  I
presume that adding in lower case will work just as well but there are
rather a lot of them and I'd prefer the automated approach.

Has anyone solved this before me?

Congratulations - you have been bitten by the paranoid shadow tools.
Someone made the great decision that no *n*x account should be in upper case.

To get around this you will need to specify a script for the "add machine script" that converts the name to lower case before passing it to the "useradd" system tool.

- John T.

Not that it affects the above situation, but I thought the shadow tools in Redhat Enterprise Server 4 doesn't allow "$" in any user name. I end up adding the machine accounts to the unix side without a $, then editing /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow by hand and adding the $, which when I then do smbpasswd -m machinename, it does work. I think it's purely a problem with the Redhat Enterprise AS 4 servers, since Fedora Core 3, which RHAS4 is based on, allows it just fine, which works well since it allows the standard samba "add machine script = " to work. Any suggestions or workarounds?

--
Eric Feldhusen
System Administrator     http://www.remc1.org