I have a Samba 3 server setup using LDAP for the backend. I keep getting a message that the passwords will expire. This happened about a month ago and I did not worry about it, because my XP machines kept telling me this last year, but they never expired. I figured it was something to do with XP and not my Samba server. This year though, with my new server, they did expire and I had to reset them all. I thought I went through and had it set where they would not expire. Maybe I did and they will not, just like last year, but if they do, what do I need to do so they do not expire?

Here is what I did when I reset them. I used the smbldap-usermod program to change the expire time to a long, long time away.

smbldap-usermod -e "2999-01-01 01:01:01" -A 0 username

Shouldn't that tell it to make the passwords to expire on January 1, 2999?

Scott Mayo
Technology Coordinator
Bloomfield Schools
PH: 573-568-5669
FA: 573-568-4565
Pager: 800-264-2535 X2549

Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it
holds the universe together.