We use AFS/Kerberos/LDAP to provide home directories to our Linux/ Unix/OSX users, our Windows users connect into our Samba domain. Samba has pretty good AFS support for gatewaying SMB <-> AFS requests, at a minor weakening of filesystem security. I'm hoping Samba4 will allow me to use Kerberos all the way through. The biggest downside to the AFS/Kerberos/LDAP/Samba setup is complexity, each service is a pain to setup by itself, getting them working together nearly involved human sacrifice. But the system has been working for about a year with 99.99% uptime.

A big thanks to all the Samba developers!
Derek