kurt weiss wrote:
Gary Roussak schrieb:

In Windows Explorer, 'Network Drives' section, the Samba share I've set
up is described as:

share on 'Samba 3.0.14a-0.4-SUSE (Our_server_IP_Address)' (K:)

Is there any way of configuring Samba to display something other than
"Samba 3.0.14a-0.4-SUSE (Our_server_IP_Address)" as the Network Drive
description, for example:

in smb.conf:
server string = text

RTFM before posting to the list (see rules)

Easy on the RTFM. :) I also fought this for along time. Even after I changed the
above mentioned string, the d*&m XP machines still displayed the long name.
There is some sort of cacheing going on in XP that has to be cleared. Sorry I don't
have it in front of me at the moment, but be aware of that Gary and Google for the
instructions.