Joel Franco wrote:

I had that problem of a radom red X in the mapped drive too when the
server was a Win98 machine. The problem was hardware on this server.

I already thought about a hardware problem, but one thing mostly keeps me away from this idea: supposing there was some hardware network fault, I'd expect to find traces of communication errors in Samba logs (and maybe syslog). Instead, I see no errors in there, apart from the "guest user" message I reported.

--
Ciao,
  Marco.