> > the following problem occurs periodically (appr. once a week) here:
> >
> > the number of smbd(s) will dramatically rise (up to 500
> > and more...) when having a look what the proccesses are doing
> > i only see that they are waiting for getting a lock:
> >
> > fcntl64(4, F_SETLKW64, {type=F_WRLCK, whence=SEEK_SET, start=240,
> >    len=1}, 0xbfefa5c0) = 0
> >
> > filedescriptor 4 is bound to my secrets.tdb !
>
> This sounds like a deadlock in the machine password changing code.
> I'll look for the deadlock.  Can you give me some more details
> about you environment?
>
> In the meantime, you can set 'machine password timeout = 0' to confirm
> my theory and avoid the deadlock.

Hi Jerry,

i've this samba running on a redhat enterprise 4 system with all updates
applied. samba version is that one that is shipping with redhat (Version
3.0.10-1.4E.2)

i have now added "machine password..." to my smb.conf and wait what happens,
but as said it will need some time....

thanks for your help!!
christian