Julian Pilfold-Bagwell wrote:
Hi all,

I have a Samba PDC with an LDAP backend. Yesterday, I tried to add a new machine to the network and received the following message:

The following error occurred attempting to join the domain:

The password of this user has expired

Not a problem I thought, and then ran
smbldap-usermod -e "2010-12-30 00:00:00" root

to extend the password date. If I now try to connect a machine with the root account I receive an error "user doesn't exist". If I go to a machine that's already connected to the network and log in as root it lets me in and I can see root's home directory and access the shares.

I have the ldif file backed up so I can restore myself back to the initial state whenever I like. Any suggetions would be gratefully received regarding how I can get around this one.

Thanks in advance,

Jools

Well...I have found that you must reset the password before you do the previous command. Of course I have not got the previous command to actually work. My passwords are still expiring every 30 days and I have to reset them all again.

I am reading back through the archives to see if I can actually find an answer to stop the passwords from expiring. If anyone knows this right off hand, I would like to know what it is.

Thanks.
--
Scott Mayo
Technology Coordinator

Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it
holds the universe together.