Folks,

I'm having a problem connecting to some shares, and not to others. I'm running SUSE 9.3 and Samba 3.0.22pre1 with a Win2k PC on one subnet and an XP laptop on a separate subnet. The problem is that with three shares out of eight, I get a "tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME" error message; I get appropriate accesses to the remaining five.

Googling the error message and searching the HOWTO didn't turn up any solutions, only the statement that this error generally meant that the share was badly formed. Following are the tests I've run that have failed, and their results: from the server side: smbclient //lserver0/<share> -U ehines ==> the BAD_NETWORK_NAME error message Note: When I run this against the working shares, I get the correct response. from the Windows device side: net use \\lserver0\<share> ==> "System 67 error...network name cannot be found." Note: When I run this against the working shares, I get the correct response. nmblookup -B lserver0 __SAMBA__ ==> "querying SAMBA on 192.168.2.2...name-query failed to find __SAMBA__" even though SAMBA clearly is running, and I can connect to it from the Windows devices. nmblookup -d 2 '*' works to the extent that it finds the PC on one subnet, but it does not find the laptop on another subnet (even though the laptop is identical to the PC in terms of successful--and failed--access to the shares, and SWAT's STATUS function shows the laptop as well as the PC to be active).

I have winbind running, WINS Support=Yes, Samba is set as a PDC (I think--Preferred Master=Yes). The offending share setup from smb.conf (I've only enclosed one; the three are essentially identical) is below, together with the [global] stanza. If I've over-snipped the [global], I'll send the whole thing, but it's a bit long.

[accounts]
        comment = Accounting Files
        path = /data/accounts
        read only = No

[global]
        workgroup = ASTRA_ENT
        netbios name = LSERVER0
        interfaces = 192.168.2.2/24, 192.168.3.1/24, lo
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        passdb backend = tdbsam
        pam password change = Yes
        unix password sync = Yes
        smb ports = 139
        name resolve order = wins bcast hosts
        shutdown script = /var/lib/samba/scripts/shutdown.sh
        abort shutdown script = /sbin/shutdown -c
        domain logons = Yes
        preferred master = Yes
        wins support = Yes

Thanks for your help.

Eric Hines

There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action.
        --Bertrand Russell