Noel Kelly wrote:

I wonder if your expertise might help with my 'nemesis'. I have been compiling Samba-3-14 and Samba-3.21 for the last couple of weeks and have everything working nicely with the Samba commands but for the life of me I cannot get nsswitch to be called when I use 'getent passwd' or 'getent passwd username'.

For the benefit of others, the answer to this is to make symlinks from the /lib64 directory to the libnss_ libraries if the OS is 64bit. obvious of course - once you see it!.