On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, Justin McCullough wrote:

I installed a second hard drive on my Samba server box with the hopes of creating a share for the rest of my home network. It doesn't seem like Samba is able to read the drive for some reason, however. The new drive is mounted on /media/public. When I create a share directly to the drive and try to connect through the smbclient, I get an NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME error. Moving the share up a level to /media allows smbclient to connect, but the public folder does not even appear and trying to cd into it returns an NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED message. The drive itself seems fine as I'm able to write to it using any of my accounts directly and I can ftp and scp into it, so I am completely stumped. Does any one else have any experience with this or know what may be the cause? I'm running Fedora Core 4 by the way, if that helps.

Justin,

You might want to look into what the permissions are on the UNIX side of things. You say that you can use any of your accounts directly using UNIX tools, but are the same users used for Samba, or is there a forced user in the smb.conf file? Just something to look into . . .

Thanks in advance,
Justin McCullough